Sustainable Trade Finance
Presented by Trade Finance Global and ITFA
Trade finance has a significant role to play in sustainable development and ESG, which extends to addressing global challenges around climate change, human rights and biodiversity.
The banking industry is certainly making progress towards their sustainability mandates, which is no longer a ‘nice to have’, rather, a business imperative. But if we are to jointly work towards the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, raising truly understanding the benefits of sustainable trade assets, understanding the appetite from the investment community, and sharing best in class practices that are being applied locally and globally is critical.
Board Member, ESG, ITFA
Director, Alternate and ESG Distribution, GTRF, HSBC, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Anne Maria Cronin
Director, Quarter Penny Consulting
Unicredit, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Moderated by Deepesh Patel, Editor, Trade Finance Global
In this Tradecast by Trade Finance Global and ITFA, we discussed:
- The definition of sustainable trade finance assets
- The true business benefits of sustainable trade finance
- Has the pandemic accelerated considerations for sustainability in supply chains?
- Understanding risk when it comes to environment and sustainability
- How sustainable trade finance assets are evaluated and understanding the risk
- Investment appetite towards these assets in the investment community – differentiated treatment for sustainable trade finance assets
- Education and sharing best practices within the community
- A roadmap for sustainable trade finance
575 registered attendees
2,579 video views
90 minute webinar
Streamed to LinkedIn Live
Sponsors and partners
Introduction: and definition of sustainable trade finance
- An introduction to sustainability and green finance and its relevance to international trade trade finance
- How do we define sustainable trade finance?
- Do we need to establish a common framework for sustainable trade finance?
- How does this relate to the UN sustainable development goals and climate change?
- What are the business benefits and rationale for sustainable trade finance?
- How do banks and corporates take a risk-based approach towards sustainable trade?
Incentives and pricing
- Should we decentivise unsustainable trade or incentivise green trade? What does that actually mean?
- How should financial institutions be promoted to grow sustainable financing? Are incentives the right model?
- Is there a consensus on this subject? What is the possible direction of travel for sustainable trade financing and its capital treatment?
Regulatory treatment of sustainable trade finance assets
- How can we bring sustainable trade finance assets to capital markets (e.g. pension funds)?
- From a secondary trade finance/distribution perspective, how do you see this market developing?
- How is trade finance uniquely placed?
Sustainable Trade Criteria: Customer Due Diligence Guidelines (ICC)
Creating standards in sustainable trade finance
- How can we define taxonomies and mapping out standards to ensure standardisation in sustainable trade finance?
- Do these standards need to be interoperable?
- Where are we at with standards in sustainable trade finance right now, and what’s left to do?
Education and learning
- As we build a roadmap for sustainable trade finance, how can we share best practices within the trade finance community?
- Where do others sit within this broad debate (e.g. rating agencies, multilaterals, the private sector and regulators)?
Fintech, partnership and the future
- How can fintechs work to help banks lend to sustainable businesses?
Thank you to our sponsors and partners
Next webinar to be announced shortly
More from the TFG Sustainability hub
- Lloyds Bank and WaveBL partner to enhance digital trade operationsLearn about Lloyds Bank’s collaboration with WaveBL and the benefits of digital trade documentation for global shipping and trade efficiency.
- The rise of hydrogen and its impact on the energy marketDiscover the transformative role of hydrogen in the global energy sector in 2024. Explore the trends shaping the energy landscape and the potential of renewables.
- World Bank provides $300m grant to TDB for clean energy in AfricaThe World Bank has granted nearly $300 million to the Eastern and Southern African Trade… read more →
- ITFC and Asia Alliance Bank sign $10m deal to for SME trade finance in UzbekistanSmall-and-Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in Uzbekistan enhanced through line of credit from ITFC & Asia Alliance Bank (AAB).
- UK-Nigeria ETIP deal set to boost bilateral trade relationsThe UK and Nigeria have created a new Enhanced Trade and Investment Partnership (ETIP) that is set to boost trade with mutual provisions and export opportunities for the legal sector.
- Global carbon permit markets reach record €881b in 2023The value of traded global markets for carbon dioxide (CO2) permits reached a record 881… read more →
- Europe sets ambitious 2030 green technology production targetsThe EU is taking action to promote the production of green technology. Get the facts on the European Union’s 2030 goals.
- 8 takeaways from the first CBAM reporting deadlineEurope’s first carbon tariff: EU’s CBAM requirements & deadlines apply to global supply chains & manufacturers. Learn how to prepare.
- Bank ABC closes €24.9m sustainability facility for Saudi Paper Manufacturing CompanyBank ABC and SACE announce €24.9 million sustainability-linked credit arrangement for Saudi Paper Manufacturing Company. Find out more here.
- UNCTAD highlights global trade crisis amid maritime disruptionsUNCTAD expresses deep concerns over increasing disruptions to global trade & Jan Hoffmann evaluates the circumstances in a briefing.
- CarbonChain, thyssenkrupp launch carbon tracing tool for green procurementCarbonChain and thyssenkrupp Materials Services partner to drive decarbonisation through carbon traceability & intensity reports.
- US halts LNG export approvals amid environmental reviewPresident Joe Biden announced a temporary halt on Friday to the pending approvals for exports… read more →