UK Export Data: 1996 – 2014
We reviewed 18 years of data from the Overseas Trade Statistics published by the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on UK international trade, in particular, how much (in GBP) the UK has exported to since 1996 and how this has changed through to 2014.
- UK trade dropped in 2009 as a result of the Global Economic Crisis, and then slowly increased until 2012
- Non-EU exports have decreased around 18% between 2013- 2014 (£164 bn in exports on £164 bn in 2013)
- As you can see on the chart below, we exported to the USA the most, but this is now in line with China and sometimes surpassed by Switzerland (due to precious metal exports)
- Qatar has recently jumped from 17th to 5th in terms of UK export rankings from 2013-2014
- Within the EU, Germany has remained no. 1 or 2 in terms of exports and imports from/ to the UK