Sustainable Trade Finance
Presented by Trade Finance Global and ITFA
Trade finance has a significant role to play in sustainable development and ESG, which extends to addressing global challenges around climate change, human rights and biodiversity.
The banking industry is certainly making progress towards their sustainability mandates, which is no longer a ‘nice to have’, rather, a business imperative. But if we are to jointly work towards the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, raising truly understanding the benefits of sustainable trade assets, understanding the appetite from the investment community, and sharing best in class practices that are being applied locally and globally is critical.
Board Member, ESG, ITFA
Director, Alternate and ESG Distribution, GTRF, HSBC, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Anne Maria Cronin
Director, Quarter Penny Consulting
Unicredit, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Moderated by Deepesh Patel, Editor, Trade Finance Global
In this Tradecast by Trade Finance Global and ITFA, we discussed:
- The definition of sustainable trade finance assets
- The true business benefits of sustainable trade finance
- Has the pandemic accelerated considerations for sustainability in supply chains?
- Understanding risk when it comes to environment and sustainability
- How sustainable trade finance assets are evaluated and understanding the risk
- Investment appetite towards these assets in the investment community – differentiated treatment for sustainable trade finance assets
- Education and sharing best practices within the community
- A roadmap for sustainable trade finance
575 registered attendees
2,579 video views
90 minute webinar
Streamed to LinkedIn Live
Sponsors and partners
Introduction: and definition of sustainable trade finance
- An introduction to sustainability and green finance and its relevance to international trade trade finance
- How do we define sustainable trade finance?
- Do we need to establish a common framework for sustainable trade finance?
- How does this relate to the UN sustainable development goals and climate change?
- What are the business benefits and rationale for sustainable trade finance?
- How do banks and corporates take a risk-based approach towards sustainable trade?
Incentives and pricing
- Should we decentivise unsustainable trade or incentivise green trade? What does that actually mean?
- How should financial institutions be promoted to grow sustainable financing? Are incentives the right model?
- Is there a consensus on this subject? What is the possible direction of travel for sustainable trade financing and its capital treatment?
Regulatory treatment of sustainable trade finance assets
- How can we bring sustainable trade finance assets to capital markets (e.g. pension funds)?
- From a secondary trade finance/distribution perspective, how do you see this market developing?
- How is trade finance uniquely placed?
Creating standards in sustainable trade finance
- How can we define taxonomies and mapping out standards to ensure standardisation in sustainable trade finance?
- Do these standards need to be interoperable?
- Where are we at with standards in sustainable trade finance right now, and what’s left to do?
Education and learning
- As we build a roadmap for sustainable trade finance, how can we share best practices within the trade finance community?
- Where do others sit within this broad debate (e.g. rating agencies, multilaterals, the private sector and regulators)?
Fintech, partnership and the future
- How can fintechs work to help banks lend to sustainable businesses?
Thank you to our sponsors and partners
Next webinar to be announced shortly
More from the TFG Sustainability hub
- ITFC on the impact of COVID-19 on Islamic FinanceTFG’s editor, Deepesh Patel, interviewed Nasser Al-Thekair, general manager of trade and business development at the International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation (ITFC), to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on Islamic Finance.
- New Standard Chartered research shows companies in Europe, North America are doubling down on supply chain resilienceNew research from Standard Chartered has found that environmental, social and governance obligations are top of mind for corporates in Europe and North America, as the post-pandemic business recovery gets underway.
- Helicopter view: Barclays, on creating sustainable supply chains and trade financeTrade finance as an asset class has benefitted from developments in loan and debt capital markets, which have led the way in sustainable product development.
- Human rights due diligence in international trade: A practical approach to achieving SDGsThis article posits that human rights due diligence is the most practical approach to addressing climate change concerns and achieving other sustainable development goals.
- ICC Trade Register 2021 – 6 top takeaways and the low-risk nature of trade finance as an asset classThe 2021 ICC Trade Register summary, on the credit risk profiles of trade finance, supply chain finance and export finance transactions. Read our summary on 38m transactions representing USD $19.2t exposures, and 28% of global trade flows.
- Green Export Finance – A force of goodThe latest IPCC report drives further urgency to ECAs’ plans to increase funding for green and sustainable deals and to rebalance portfolios with long-dated carbon-intensive assets
- SCHUMANN Interview: Robert Meters – the trade credit insurance market, post-pandemic overviewTFG interviewed Robert Meters (RM), Head of Marketing and Sales, Global Business & Financial Services at SCHUMANN to discuss how the trade credit insurance has changed as a result of the covid-19 pandemic.
- TFG Weekly Trade Briefing, 6th September 2021Your morning coffee briefing from TFG. Exports of intermediate goods sustain gains in Q1 of 2021 after rebound from pandemic, job slow down could lead the Federal Reserve to continue with stimulus, inflation could spark new financial crisis, China says US tensions threaten fight against climate change and UK labour crisis could last up to two years, CBI warns.
- The fusion of working capital solutions in developing a sustainable financing strategyNever have fragmented reactions, as seen to recent global crises, be that Covid-19, climate change or geopolitical power shifts, illustrated better the acute need to have sustainable strategies in place.
- TFG announces media partnership with Reuters Events for Commodities Trading 2021Trade Finance Global is delighted to announce its media partnership with Reuters Events for Commodities Trading 2021.
- Podcast: ICC Banking Commission’s Lynn Ng on the need to simplify tradeCOVID-19 has provided us with an opportunity for a reset, and so has the ICC’s leadership at the Banking Commission. TFG’s editor, Deepesh Patel sat down with Lynn Ng, ICC’s new Banking Commission chair to discuss ICC’s new governance strategy moving forward and some of the key priorities for the banking commission.
- IPCC issues stark climate change warning – but what about trade?Today’s IPCC report warns that temperatures are very likely to reach 1.5°C of warming by 2050. But what could this mean for global trade, trade finance and supply chains?