Sustainable Trade Finance
Presented by Trade Finance Global and ITFA
Trade finance has a significant role to play in sustainable development and ESG, which extends to addressing global challenges around climate change, human rights and biodiversity.
The banking industry is certainly making progress towards their sustainability mandates, which is no longer a ‘nice to have’, rather, a business imperative. But if we are to jointly work towards the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, raising truly understanding the benefits of sustainable trade assets, understanding the appetite from the investment community, and sharing best in class practices that are being applied locally and globally is critical.
Board Member, ESG, ITFA
Director, Alternate and ESG Distribution, GTRF, HSBC, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Anne Maria Cronin
Director, Quarter Penny Consulting
Unicredit, ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Working Group
Moderated by Deepesh Patel, Editor, Trade Finance Global
In this Tradecast by Trade Finance Global and ITFA, we discussed:
- The definition of sustainable trade finance assets
- The true business benefits of sustainable trade finance
- Has the pandemic accelerated considerations for sustainability in supply chains?
- Understanding risk when it comes to environment and sustainability
- How sustainable trade finance assets are evaluated and understanding the risk
- Investment appetite towards these assets in the investment community – differentiated treatment for sustainable trade finance assets
- Education and sharing best practices within the community
- A roadmap for sustainable trade finance
575 registered attendees
2,579 video views
90 minute webinar
Streamed to LinkedIn Live
Sponsors and partners
Introduction: and definition of sustainable trade finance
- An introduction to sustainability and green finance and its relevance to international trade trade finance
- How do we define sustainable trade finance?
- Do we need to establish a common framework for sustainable trade finance?
- How does this relate to the UN sustainable development goals and climate change?
Article: Supply Chain 4.0 – What is next for digital solutions in Agritech?
Article: BofA – Driving Sustainability through Supply Chain Finance
Article: How the banking industry can help tackle deforestation
- What are the business benefits and rationale for sustainable trade finance?
- How do banks and corporates take a risk-based approach towards sustainable trade?
Explainer: What is Green Finance? – Green Bonds and Renewables hub
News: SWIFT KYC Registry to use ICC Sustainable Trade Finance Guidelines to standardise ESG due diligence process
Podcast: Barclays – Can green bonds and indemnities reduce environmental impact?
Incentives and pricing
- Should we decentivise unsustainable trade or incentivise green trade? What does that actually mean?
- How should financial institutions be promoted to grow sustainable financing? Are incentives the right model?
- Is there a consensus on this subject? What is the possible direction of travel for sustainable trade financing and its capital treatment?
Article: E, S or G? TFG Exclusive with Sir Roger Gifford, on the UK’s Green Finance Taskforce
Article: Gulf International Bank – Applying ESG to Trade Finance Assets
Regulatory treatment of sustainable trade finance assets
- How can we bring sustainable trade finance assets to capital markets (e.g. pension funds)?
- From a secondary trade finance/distribution perspective, how do you see this market developing?
- How is trade finance uniquely placed?
Article: Leveraging credible data to monitor sustainable trade and finance
Sustainable Trade Criteria: Customer Due Diligence Guidelines (ICC)
Creating standards in sustainable trade finance
- How can we define taxonomies and mapping out standards to ensure standardisation in sustainable trade finance?
- Do these standards need to be interoperable?
- Where are we at with standards in sustainable trade finance right now, and what’s left to do?
Course: LIBF Sustainable Trade Finance
Education and learning
- As we build a roadmap for sustainable trade finance, how can we share best practices within the trade finance community?
- Where do others sit within this broad debate (e.g. rating agencies, multilaterals, the private sector and regulators)?
Podcast: Multilateral Perspective – A Roadmap for Sustainable Trade Finance
Article: The role of export credit agencies in post-pandemic recovery
Article: Digitalisation and sustainability (SocGen): two key trade finance trends in Asia
Fintech, partnership and the future
- How can fintechs work to help banks lend to sustainable businesses?
Thank you to our sponsors and partners
Next webinar to be announced shortly
More from the TFG Sustainability hub
- Using Optical Character Recognition to streamline international tradeOne of the difficulties related to international trade is the large volume of paper documents that make up much of the information flow between the different parties, including various documents such as invoices, bills of lading, certificates of origin, and customs declarations.
- Top challenges facing sustainable sourcing and procurementThe manufacturing and shipping industries tally up some of the highest, more impactful numbers to the atmosphere’s degradation, adding to an already-intense climate crisis.
- TFG Weekly Trade Briefing, 29th May 2023Your Monday morning coffee briefing from TFG, 8th May 2023
- The growing legal imperative for human rights due diligenceEconomically disadvantaged people have been trafficked into countries as sources of “cheap” labour throughout history. The International Labour Organization estimates more than 50 million people around the world are trapped in some form of modern slavery.
- From food crises to sustainability: Navigating the commodity trade finance space in 2023Just over two weeks ago, Commodity Trading Week gathered over 300 experts from across the world, tackling some of the most pertinent questions and challenges in the industry. TFG summarises the key findings.
- How fast fashion supply chains can use technology to meet ESG goalsFast fashion brands are looking at technology to help improve supply chain sustainability and meet their environmental, social, and governance (ESG) targets.
- VIDEO | UK under the spotlight – C4DTI on how to avoid “pilot exhaustion”At the ICC United Kingdom and C4DTI, Trade Finance Global’s (TFG) Deepesh Patel spoke with Nick Davies, Director of the ICC’s United Kingdom C4DTI, to learn more about their role in accelerating the adoption of digital trade.
- TFG Weekly Trade Briefing, 1st May 2023Your Monday morning coffee briefing from TFG, 1st May 2023
- VIDEO | Managing the implementation of trade finance as an asset class, is ESG the answer?At the 2023 ITFA Trade and Investment Forum in London, Trade Finance Global spoke with Alexander Malaket, president, OPUS Advisory Services, to learn more about trade finance as an asset class, the promise of a standardised rating system, and the role of ESG as a catalyst for investment
- Green power politics in North African countries: Continuity or change?In 2023, environmental and climate issues will again be at the top of the policy agenda in the Middle East and North Africa. The upcoming COP28 climate conference in Dubai and the rapid growth in the renewables sector in Egypt and North Africa both point to the growing power of MENA states within global climate politics.
- Riding the ESG train: MENA’s efforts to embrace sustainabilityQuite often, trade does not happen directly between the producer of the raw material, the manufacturer and the end user. The supply chain process involved are complex, with each point in the journey ‘adding value’ and potentially adding to the “sustainability footprint” of the product.
- PODCAST | C4DTI wrap up – making trade cheaper, faster and simplerIn this episode of Trade Finance Talks, Deepesh Patel, editor at TFG was joined by Chris Southworth, co-chair of Legal Reform Advisory Board at ICC Digital Standards Initiative, and Nick Davies, director of the Centre for Digital Trade and Innovation.
Comments are closed.